Wednesday 25 January 2017

A good egg, and many lights

I promised myself that I'd get to Canary Wharf to the Winter Lights exhibition before it ended on Friday. I checked the website, there seemed to quite a few exhibits to explore and was particularly drawn to the colour-changing egg in Montgomery Square. I had to check where Montgomery Square was, not that I don't hang about Canary Wharf frequently, but I guess I'm generally visiting clients in one of the imposing buildings, and possibly the odd shop, so haven't ventured to this corner before.

 

I approached the egg from several angles, attracted to the reflection in the shallow pool it appeared to be floating on. I was then drawn to explore inside and shoot the view above the egg but it transpired, if your wearing high heels, is rather perilous as you are literally walking on water.

 

After surviving that and only getting a little wet, I explored the rest of Jubilee Gardens. There was a spot of poetry lurking in the foliage and several sets of neon wings and halos just waiting for people to step in and become angels. Luckily there was no shortage people keen to be photographed à la angel.

After that heavenly experience I headed for the new bit of the Wharf - Crossrail Place, as it seemed there was a little cluster of vibrant exhibits to check out.

 

I first came across a panel of rainbow lights, with people milling around. Luckily I could get behind someone taking a photo making an interesting silhouette. Outside I could spy tantalising glimpses of hazy lights seemingly in the sky so had to go and investigate.

It transpired that someone stood in a particular area could 'conduct' ever-changing dancing ghostly coloured shapes that I think were somehow being protected onto an arc of water droplets. It was spookily ethereal and tricky to photograph, but I was fascinated by it and stood mesmerised by this somehow both vibrant yet translucent image.

 

Close by there were towers of undulating lights which were drawing a crowd of eager selfie takers. It had started to drizzle and the slick pavement was adding some nice reflections, but I wasn't really dressed for malingering.

I didn't get a chance to visit all of the exhibits, but as the rain kicked up a gear I wasn't too keen to stay out in it. Afterwards when looking at friends' photographs, I wished I seen the giant coloured balls at Westferry Circus too, but never mind, I enjoyed the egg, the spooky colourful watery shapes and the pillars, and I got there before the exhibition ended. Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment