Saturday 28 February 2015

Day 59: Firsts

Today has been a day of firsts. I realised as I pulled up in an emergency black cab outside Elys in Wimbledon, that I'm fairly confident I've never been to Wimbledon before. Wimbledon Village, yes, I definitely remember visiting Matches and other boutiques many years ago, but Wimbledon proper, I don't think I've ever had the pleasure. My next first is advising on a beautiful white dress designed to look good from the back. I'm better known for a love of black dresses, but I can stray to the light side for someone special. I dispel my inate compunction to be drawn to marabou feathers, top-to-toe Swarovski crystals, lashings of sequins and gorgeous bunny capes and put myself in another J's little shoes, she's just not going to go for the full-on bling. There were some distinct possibilities, but all the time it made a previously tried on dress seem even more alluring. So we promised to think about it, left, and immediately secured an appointment for later at another wedding emporium in the West End.

Then we head off for another first for me, a manicure. It's not that I don't paint my nails very regularly but I've never had someone else do it. I had no idea what to do, how long it would take (way longer than I expected) and when I could stand up from being 'dried' (I didn't sit for long enough). I opted to forgo my standard black and think pink, I figured if I'm having my first manicure I should make it count.

After that experience, I managed to find something I rather enjoyed in a Mexican restaurant (almost a first!) and then helped finalise (spiritually) the purchase of the most perfect wedding dress, and not a bunny in sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment