Saturday 6 April 2013

Day 96 : sunrise, sunset, sunrise, sunset

Today I decided to review my sunrise and sunset collection and make a new image from some of my favourites. I know I’m a sucker for stripy pink skies, golden, orange tendrils left by the sun departing for the day and a silhouetted skyline. I'd had this iPad app called Montage Magic for a while but never put it through its paces so this is my first time. There are various options but I rather liked the black frames for these photos as it sets them off quite well.

So I had no plan as such, just decided which photos I wanted larger and how they would fit together. It was purely coincidental that the last three images I arranged were taken on consecutive Christmases, I didn't notice until I started listing them. Only five of the sixteen are sunrises, I'm so not a morning person! All the sunrises have been happy accidents, I look out of the window and get terribly inspired by a dramatic dawn and rush to grab my camera despite the homily “red sky in the morning, shepherds’ warning!”

Four of the sunset shots were the result of actually planning, striking of the tripod before the appointed time, screwing on the ten stop and slotting in other neutral density filters and opening up the shutter for the maximum time (for my little Leica that's 250 seconds) It really is the way to capture brooding costal skies but many of these shots are black & white so didn't really fit in the sunrise/sunset collection.

From the top left - Kimmeridge Bay, Dorset, view from my front window, Lyme Regis, Dorset again, Istria - Croatia,the platform at Richmond station, the infamous Cobb, Canary Wharf and the city of London beyond, Rekyivic - Iceland the morning after shooting the Northern Lights, Greenwich observatory, Loudon - France, Tenerife - Canaries just before J&B’s wedding, Thingvellir Iceland battling Arctic winds, crossing Richmond bridge on a bus, view from my hotel in Ventnor Isle of Wight, then Ventnor again the following year standing on the beach and view from the Scarlet hotel in Cornwall exactly one year after.

Knowing my predilection for the vibrant coloured streaks heralding or bading farewell to the sun, I'm sure they'll be more fiery skies in my collection soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment