Tuesday 30 April 2013

Day 120 : a not so secure facility

In the pale early morning sun I was suddenly struck by a building that I can honestly say I've never noticed before. Clearly it was a former bonded warehouse, a relic from the days when so many of the local buildings would store goods that had arrived by boat from the far and distant shores. The legacy remains in some of the location names in the surrounding streets, for example, Tobacco Dock, Ivory House, Commodity Quay and Spice Court.

This one has clearly seen better days; the glass in the windows has long since been smashed, the walls are pock-marked and the now open to the skies roof is harbouring a thriving roof garden of weeds. I did wonder why it had been allowed to remain but on further examination it seems part of the brick bridge that is supporting the DLR train tracks running behind the shell of the former stronghold.

This noticing lark is getting pretty interesting, it's encouraging me not just to look but to research some of the new things I discover. And that's got to be a good thing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment